Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Whole New World.

After the trip to Cairns, we came back to Sydney to move into our apartments.  These accommodations are much better than the hostel we were at the week before.  The apartment is gorgeous, with three bedrooms and two baths.  We have a nice living room, a decently sized kitchen, and two balconies.  Everything is very similar to an expensive hotel's furnishings, but also much more comfortable.  One of the best parts of our apartment has to be the view.  We are staying in Bondi Junction, which is technically a suburb of Sydney, but there are only houses between the city and our area.  Considering we are living on the 7th floor of our apartment building, we not only have a view of the city, but the Opera House, bridge, and harbour are also straight out the window.  In my opinion, I'm living the high-life and I absolutely love it!!

After being back in Sydney for a week on our own, I'm starting to pick up on all of the differences between here and the U.S.  It seems Australia is a lot more culturally different than I had originally thought.

The first major difference is obvious, but also the hardest to adapt to.  Always think LEFT.  Australians drive on the left and walk on the left.  It would seem that this would be easy to pick up on, but after years of looking left, right, then left again to cross the street, it is almost impossible to remember to look right first or a car will hit you.  Also, walking down a sidewalk was a major change; by walking on the right side, I have learned that I always walk into all of the people coming from the opposite direction.  I’m sure it will take me months to get used to this and when I get back to the States I’ll be confused again!

Another difference that most of the students are struggling with is the cost of everything.  It is expensive and I’m having price-shock.  An average lunch, including a sandwich and drink is about $15; did I mention that the portions are a lot smaller, too?  It’s an adjustment that is causing a lot of us to look for jobs.  I’m hoping to be a bartender; I want to meet as many people as possible, and they happen to average about $18 to $25 an hour. 

Speaking of alcohol, Australians tax very highly on products that are unhealthy.  For example, 700ml (about a fifth) of 60-proof Southern Comfort is around $35; tequila is even more at $44.  It is very much a wine country, with a 4.4 liter (about 4-5 bottles) box of wine averaging $8-$15.  Let’s just say, we are trying to stay as classy as we can!  We are also learning that Australian bars are not fans of drunks.  I just took a Responsible Service of Alcohol course in order to become a bartender, and I learned that intoxicated patrons are not allowed in bars or there are extensive fines.  Many bars will refuse entrance or kick a person out if they believe the person is drunk.

The only good news about all of the high prices is that the sticker price is the price paid.  I’m very much a fan of this system because I don’t like figuring out additional tax on U.S. products if I’m trying to pay in cash.  There also aren’t any coins below five cents.  Everything is rounded nicely.  Tipping is also not very common because everyone makes a lot more money per hour than at home; it’s not expected, so it’s not necessary. 

So far, I still love everything about Australia.  The people are amazing; everyone is incredibly nice and friendly.  The atmosphere is very laid-back and it’s a very nice change of pace from the States.  Most places are closed on Sunday and from what I’ve seen, they’re all at the beach instead!!  I live ten minutes from Bondi Beach and it is so much fun to jump on a bus and hang out there.  The beach is beautiful with soft, clean sand and beautiful clear water.  The waves are also awesome; people surf on one side and swim on the other.  So far, everything is awesome… but school is about to start and I’m now remembering that that’s actually what I’m here for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment