Thursday, May 19, 2011

Work. Work. Work. Play?

The two weeks after I got back from New Zealand were the most hectic weeks I've had in Sydney so far.  Everything at school seemed to be due right around the same time, and with all the fun I was having, I hadn't exactly gotten a jump start on anything.


Most of the assignments at uni are essays and there aren't very many of them.  For almost all of my classes, I only have two major assignments, a paper and a final exam, which is also written.  As a business student, I'm not exactly positive as to why I'm doing research papers, but I guess it can't hurt.  I don't really have a problem with writing papers, I just wasn't in the studying mood; it's hard being in a place where I'm supposed to be at school, but there are so many other things going on as well.  Coming back from vacation was a kick back into reality and a very frustrating two weeks. I couldn't seem to get into the swing of things; I've been here for so long without really having to do work yet.  With two major papers and few short ones, I felt as if I stared at the computer for hours on end.  All in all, I wrote about 10,000 words but it felt like 100,000. 


With all of the things due, almost all of us haven't had time for going out or having a great time.  Everyone has had papers due throughout the weeks, so when it finally ended it was nice to relax.  I'm so glad the majority of the work is complete and all I have left to worry about is finals.


Because we are running out of time in Sydney, my roommate and I decided we needed to take more advantage of the city.  We had a "date" day and planned to do a few things we haven't yet had the chance to.  First, we went into the heart of Sydney and walked around to see what we could find.  We stumbled upon a cute place for lunch and just relaxed, enjoying the atmosphere around us.  Afterwards, without an exact clue to where we were going, we wandered around looking for markets.  Finally, we explored Paddy's market.  It's right past Chinatown, down near Darling Harbour. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a lot bigger than I thought.  Inside a huge building there are stalls and stalls of everything you could imagine.  There were so many people there that the people-watching was just as much fun as the shopping.


After shopping all day, we found our way back to the area we stayed for our orientation in February.  We stopped by Three Wise Monkeys and had a cocktail before taking the train out to ANZ Stadium to see a Rugby League game.  After having been to quite a few league and union games, I'm starting to become a big fan of rugby.  We went to a Rabbitohs game, which is a South Sydney team and they destroyed the Tigers, from the West.  The fans are completely crazy at these games; it reminded me of NFL games but everyone is much more wild (and by that I mean more drunk), loud, and dressed up.  


After wandering around all day, I realized just how much I love Sydney.  It's gorgeous and there is always something to do.  I love being in a place that's surrounded by water but still has the activities and adventures of a city.  Considering our time is dwindling, we are trying to explore and do everything we can in the last few weeks.  We want to take advantage of all the things Sydney has to offer, even if it means coming home completely broke at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment